Monday, May 5, 2008

Sick Kitten Update

I called the shelter today and described the situation to her. She said bring them in right away. Turned out they all have respiratory infections. The calico and one of her brothers were not fighting it well at all on their own. Both are dehydrated and very sick. They kept those two and put them in an incubator. They'll be fed for the next couple of days by putting a long tube down their throats and simply inserting milk directly into the stomach. They don't even have energy enough to nurse or suck on a bottle right now. It's amazing to me how quickly they went downhill! It was only yesterday they began exhibiting symptoms.

So, I brought home the momma and one of the boys who isn't dehydrated and is doing okay nursing. It'll be his job to keep momma's milk flowing so when we pick up his siblings in a couple of days, they'll have something to eat. I have antibiotics for both momma and baby. Oh, and the kitten we brought home is starting to open his eyes!

Momma and baby are all settled back in their kitty cat playpen/cage thingy I'm keeping them in. Momma growled a bit as she looked around searching for her two lost babies. Poor thing. That must be confusing. She'll welcome them home in a couple of days, won't she? Or will she not remember they are hers and reject them? I guess we'll know soon enough!

No comments: