Over the weekend it was brought to my attention that the momma cat was bleeding through her nostrils. So I called the shelter and they weren't worried as long as her appetite is normal, which it is. Probably just a burst capillary in her nasal tissue caused by sneezing from her cold. All day yesterday I didn't see anymore blood and this morning too. Her cold symptoms are also diminishing. I think she's fine.
However, two of the babies aren't doing so well. I began to worry about them yesterday evening. Especially the calico. She's lethargic, seems to have lost her voice, coughs and sneezes, her body feels cool, and I rarely see her nursing. I was really worried we would have a dead kitten this morning.
I was awakened early this morning by migraine pain. Yuck. So, I got up to take imitrex and went in to check the kitties. The calico was lying apart from the group, very still. I was certain we'd lost her. But no, she responded to my touch and when I picked her up she managed to get a few squeaky meows out. I put her next to momma's belly and held the other two back while she nursed.
It's the funniest thing about nursing kittens. Instead of looking for their own teat, they simply go toward the kitten who is already latched on and try to steal theirs. I didn't want anyone stealing the calico's teat, so I stood guard for a few minutes while she nursed.
I know there are already too many kittens up for adoption, and one or two less would not be such a bad thing overall, but I find it incredibly upsetting to think we might lose one or two of these kittens.
1 comment:
That's awful about the kittens...hopefully they spring back quickly. I imagine it's hard on such little bodies to fight off a cold. Give them pets from me...
Mel
Post a Comment