Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Sad News

Just got an update on the two sick kittens and we lost the calico yesterday. Her brother is still needing to be tube-fed since he won't suck, so he's not ready to come home today.

The momma is doing fine. She's energetic and no longer has symptoms of the infection. The kitten here with her seems to be doing fine. I don't see him nurse very much though. He searches for a teat and sometimes gives up if he can't find one. I try to show him where one is but even when I do, he still won't latch. Crazy! It's like he's saying, (with the attitude of a toddler), "I wanna do it myself!" I have seen him find one and nurse for a minute or so, then quits. I worry there isn't enough milk there anymore. I mentioned that to Missy at the shelter and she suggested I express milk now and then to keep it in production. Yikes! She wants me to milk a cat! Reminds me of that movie Meet the Parents. Okay well, I guess I need to go upstairs and give it a shot. They need their antibiotics too. I definitely don't like doing that. If I could do it gracefully like the vet does, it would be different. But I can't seem to. Oh well, here I go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Suz, you're doing so much to try to help the momma and her babies. I wish I was there to help! I hope she and the remaining two babies continue to get better. I know it's tough. I'm glad it's someone like you who is helping. Good luck!

Suzie said...

Thanks, Bonnie. I wish you could be here to help, too.