Wednesday, May 28, 2008

OMG! There's Fur Everywhere!

We've been so, so, so careful to NOT allow our two cats, Hudson and Mater, to meet the foster Momma and her baby. Anytime we leave the room where they are, we crack the door open just enough to see if Hudson or Mater are there waiting to get in and if they are, we get them out of the way, especially if the Momma and baby are not closed up in their kittie cage.

Katie has been pretty good about also being careful, but I doubt she really knew why. I've talked to her about how important it is to keep them separated, but until you see what happens when two unfamiliar cats meet, you really don't fully understand. Well... after this morning, I think she fully understands!

Katie and I were in with the Momma and baby, giving them time outside their cage to play. I was paying attention to the kitten and didn't realize that Katie had opened the door to the room. It really isn't her fault, and I told her that, but Hudson was sitting right by the door and walked in as soon as Katie opened the door. I heard her say, "Hudson!" and I asked, "What about him?" She shrieked, "He's in HERE!" I panicked for a moment as I asked, "In HERE, where?" I didn't know where Hudson was, but the Momma cat sure did. She darted over to him and backed him against the wall, her teeth and claws were out. She was ferocious. I ran over to the door, which Katie had closed after Hudson entered, and I opened it, hoping Hudson would run out. Sure enough, he did, as fast as he could. But not before the Momma dug her claws into his back, extracting clumps of black fur that flew everywhere. My heart was pounding. I was so worried the Momma would follow him outside the room and chase him around the house. Fortunately, she would not leave the room. Probably because she knew her baby was still in there and she had to protect him. Anyway, Hudson flew out of the room, I slammed the door and then realized Katie was horrified at what she just saw so we spent some time talking about it. Then I checked the Momma. She was a little shaken up, but fine. I closed them up in their cage and we left the room, closing the door behind us. Hudson and Mater were on the stairs, their eyes wide, the fur on their backs stood straight up. They relaxed immediately when I touched them. I checked Hudson and he's okay.

Holy cow! What a way to start the day! Well, before all that happened, I had taken pictures of Katie in her new outfit, playing with the kitten. It's not really warm enough to wear shorts, but she insisted.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my... I can't believe that happened. Glad everyone is okay. Poor Katie... I bet she was scared!