Oh dear God! What was I thinking? Planting and transplanting shrubs is hard work! Now I know why I don't do it very often, if at all. Okay fine, I've never done it before, I admit it. It's always been Regina who has done this type of work around the house, not me. I don't even offer to help her! Even so, I had this grand idea that today I could do it.
I went to a nursery in Issaquah this morning and bought three shrubs that should do well in the soggier locations in our yard, to replace the shrubs (Skip Laurels) originally planted there not doing well because they need well-drained soil. The folks at the nursery gave me several recommendations and I picked one. They also gave me instructions on how to plant them.
You know what though, I didn't even think about what I was going to do with the dying bushes, once I dug them up. We don't pay for the trash company to take away yard waste, so I ended up transplanting them on the side of the house (where potential buyers won't immediately see them...) but I think the soil there is well-drained. What have I got to lose? If they die, they were dying anyway. It'll be a miracle if they actually make it. But, you never know. I did notice some new growth on them, so maybe there is hope.
But, oh my God! Something else I didn't take into account was that digging up the Skip Laurels would be such back-breaking activity! Beneath the quarter inch of mulch, the ground is totally saturated, wet clay, I discovered. I swear, it weighed a ton. But really, I wouldn't be surprised if what I dug up weighed 100 lbs or more. I thought I would never get them out of the ground, let alone moved to another location in the yard. A wheelbarrow would have been helpful, but all I had at my disposal was a moving dolly. In the end I was able to do it, but boy was it heavy.
So now, I have two new shrubs in place of two of the dying shrubs. I have one more to do, but that'll have to wait. After I was done with those two, I collapsed on the back steps and spent some time admiring my work (like I always do after I've completed something) and it was almost as if I actually expected the new plants to start growing and sprout leaves right in front of me. When I realized I wasn't going to get that kind of instant gratification (duh), I cleaned up and came inside.
Mel, I am definitely calling you when I do this again, since I'm not done! If you weren't having company arrive today, I think I would have summoned you over here today! Next time though, for sure.
But, the best part of the day for me was lunch with Mel, Courtney and the babies at Red Robin. Thank you so much for inviting me! I would drop anything I'm doing in an instant to be with you guys.
3 comments:
Now I will get the respect I deserve next time I transplant shrubs! I always get more sympathy after Suzie has tried it.. it is always harder than she thinks! I can't wait to see it.
okay, well it's not as impressive as it ought to be since it took so much effort, so don't expect too much!
:-) You guys are funny. Regina, you make sure she is wiping your brow and handing you iced tea next time! Ha! And Suzie...I've Never seen anything you do look anything less than spectacular!! :-) You should post pictures of your hard work! I hope the dying transplants come back beautifully too.
Post a Comment