Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Katie's Last Day at Bright Horizons

For the last two and a half years, Katie has been going to Bright Horizons in Issaquah. It was truly a wonderful experience and their influence on Katie has helped her to become the self-confident, healthy, happy child she is today. Katie loved going to school there and I felt comfortable taking her there everyday.

For her last day, she wanted to take cupcakes in to share with her friends, for a sweet goodbye. Now, I knew that I needed to make sure the cupcakes were peanut-free, but in Katie's class there is a child who is allergic to wheat. So, I needed to make wheat-free, peanut-free cupcakes. Well, that's not a problem for the frosting, but it is a challenge for the cake. I ended up finding a recipe online which turned out really yummy and passed the "kid test". So, if you ever need to make a gluten-free cupcake, try this recipe for yellow cake.

Okay, so I was so proud of myself for accomplishing the task of making a batch of yummy cupcakes that all the kids could eat, even the kid with the wheat allergy. But, my bubble was burst when Katie told me after I picked her up tonight that the child with the wheat allergy is also allergic to eggs! Well, of course the cupcakes had egg in them. Unfortunately, it was not communicated to me that he also had an egg allergy, so he had to eat a popscicle while everyone else ate the cupcakes. I felt terrible when I heard that. Katie said she told her friend she was so, so sorry, but her Mom didn't know he couldn't eat eggs. Well, I suppose he is used to that happening. I was just hoping we could avoid a situation where he gets left out because of his allergies.

Here are some pictures I took of Katie and her friends today, on her last day of school at Bright Horizons in Issaquah.



No comments: