Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Dark, Black, Very Low Day
I woke up feeling awful. Horribly, terribly awful. My head was pounding. It was similar to my normal migraine, but worse. Much worse. And, unlike my normal migraine which is located on the left side of my head, over the temple, this one was the most intense in my forehead. It felt like someone had inserted a knife in my forehead. I thought that perhaps breakfast would help. So I had a banana and some orange juice. Then I fed Katie and got her dressed for school. Right before we were getting into the car, I threw up. Even so, I managed to drive her to school and even got back home safely. I lay down for a while and around noon I asked Bonnie (my sister is here for the summer) to drive me to Urgent Care. They gave me two shots. One to relieve the nausea and the other for pain. After about 20 minutes, the nausea was nearly gone, but there was still pain. They gave me another shot of pain medicine. 20 or 30 minutes after that I still felt the pain, but didn't really care. So they sent me home. When I got home I took an imitrex (migraine medicine) and lay down again. I slept on and off all afternoon. At about 5pm it was time to pick up Katie from school and I could tell all the medicine had worn off and the headache was even worse. I began throwing up again - actually dry heaving since there was nothing left in my stomach. So, I asked Bonnie to drive me to pick up Katie from school and then she took me to the ER. They quickly hooked me up to a lovely cocktail of pain medicine, muscle relaxant, anti-nausea, and anti-inflammitory. Suddenly there was a light at the end of this dreadfully dark tunnel I was in. Bonnie and Katie went out to eat while I hung out in the ER. My doctor was concerned that since this headache was not like my normal migraine, there could be something else going on like brain bleed. So, he ordered a CAT scan and Lumbar puncture. The two tests combined would let us know if there was any bleeding going on in my brain. It would also find any tumors that might be there. Fortunately, there was no bleeding and no tumor. At about 10:30pm, they sent me home. I was groggy and hungry, but feeling pretty good, considering. We all went straight to bed when we got home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment