Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What? The Doctors Are Changing Their Minds?

I learned today that osteoporosis continues to increase even though we are fortifying food with calcium and adding calcium supplements to our diet. The research is now showing that it isn't calcium that is needed to stop, reduce or eliminate this disease. Osteoporosis may be caused by a Vitamin D deficiency. And, Vitamin D (or the lack of it) may be a leading cause for all types of cancer, muscle pain, joint pain, fatigue, and other diseases.

Why do I know this? I just found out that the "ideal ranges" for Vitamin D are between 40 and 70 depending upon the time of year and/or where you live. The levels fluctuate based upon sun exposure. Since we get the vast majority of our Vitamin D from the sun, people in sunny places like Phoenix have higher numbers than those who live in Seattle, for example. People also have higher numbers during the summer than they do during the winter. What is my number? 24. Ugh.

So, I will be adding Vitamin D3 to my list of supplements and I need to get sun. The best way to get Vitamin D is the sun. The key is to... hang on as this is going to be exactly the opposite of what we are being told to do... go outside during peak sun (typically between 1:00 and 3:00) for 20 - 30 minutes withOUT sunscreen. The goal is to get "pink" but not burn. The more skin that is exposed the better.

Grab your bikinis and sunglasses, but leave the sunscreen at home! See you outside!

No comments: