Suzie is up in Fall City, WA -- once again getting the house ready to list -- and Katie and I are hanging around Portland until the weekend. Originally, we were all taking the two days off but when we went back East to visit with my Aunt and take care of getting her settled in a home we decided to just have Suzie go up early. I would save the days. The biggest challenge for me is getting Katie out of the door in the morning so I can get to work on time. It hasn't been too bad because I had blocked these days off as vacation so no morning meetings!
Today, I picked Katie up from school and as I approached the door one of the kids yelled to Katie that her Mom was here. It is so funny, but there is always at least one kid that pays attention to the door, who is coming in and then announces the Mom or Dad. Katie, totally absorbed in tracing a truck and cutting it out, didn't even look up. As I walked closer, the girl sitting next to her said to me, "You're not Katie's Mom. Are you her Grandma?" Why do they always go to Grandma?!
I kindly said no, and confirmed that I was her Mom. Katie, still not paying attention, finally looked up and said "Hi Mom, I am busy can you come back?" I went to get her blanket and coat from her home room. I was thinking about what to say next if the kids said anything and then decided I just needed to hope for a better greeting when I came back in the room.
This time no one paid attention but Katie. She asked "Where is Suzie?"
1 comment:
Well, don't feel bad about being asked to come back because she's not ready to go home. I get that too on plenty of days. So, I walk down the hall and read all the bulletin boards, browse around her classroom to see what they've been doing, etc.
Post a Comment