Monday, June 16, 2008

Cat Spat

Okay well, bringing home another foster kitten (Katie named her Sparkle) to play with our sole-survivor kitten (Katie and Regina named him Max) isn't quite working out as well as I had hoped it would. I've resorted to having them in separate rooms!

Yesterday and the day before, I had them all in the same room, but different crates at night. Because I knew the Momma cat wasn't thrilled about Sparkle, I left her in the big cage all day while the kittens were loose in the room, in hopes that they would begin to like each other and play. Well, anytime they would run into each other (We would try to lure them together with cat toys.), Sparkle hissed and growled. Immediately, Max would back off and run over to the cage where his Mom was, climbing the outside of it, trying to get inside with her. So, for most of yesterday, I had the Mom and Max in the big cage while Sparkle was loose in the room so she could play and run around.

Later in the afternoon yesterday, I had all three of them loose in the room. The Momma growled and hissed at Sparkle, but kept her distance. Finally she couldn't stand it anymore and she lunged at Sparkle. I was on the floor with them at the time, so I reached out to pull her back. Both cats emerged unharmed, but I got a claw in my thumb that drew blood. So, that's what has prompted me to separate them.

This morning when I picked up Sparkle to move her and all her stuff, she purred, for the first time! She's a sweet kitten, but maybe she's not the right choice for Max. I don't know. Anyway, I'm thinking about calling today to see if her sibling has recovered from a case of diahrrea yet and if so, I could bring him here too, to keep his sister company until they can all be adopted in a few weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I would not be asking for more... I would be returning them all! I hope it gets better.

Melanie Ostergard said...

Oh Regina!! You love them you just don't want to admit it!! I hope they calm down and learn to enjoy eachother. Good luck.

Mel