Monday, April 14, 2008

The Wrath of Katie

I forgot to talk about this the day it happened. On Sunday morning I was dressing Katie (I know, I know, SHE should dress herself at her age, but it's just FASTER if I do it! Leave me alone!) She was watching TV (I know, I know, TV should not be used a babysitter, but it gave me time to get things done with minimal interruption. Leave me alone!) I picked out a t-shirt and lightweight pants for her to wear and I dressed her while she was watching the TV over my shoulder, not really paying me any attention, or the clothes I was putting on her. So I finished with her, went back upstairs to get myself dressed and about 10 minutes later I hear her thrashing around downstairs, crying and screaming like the very worst, most horrible thing had just happened. I ran downstairs and found her crying the biggest tears ever, her body face down, draped over one of our footstools and when she saw me, she stood up, folded her arms over her chest and told me I was the worst Mom she ever met. "Bad Mom", she screamed at me, more than once, I might add. I hadn't yet figured out what was happening and finally she clued me in. "I HATE these pants Mom! I want tights. How many times do I have to tell you that?" I promptly told her she could wear whatever (the hell - I didn't say this, but wanted to) she wanted and told her to just go up to her room, pick out her own outfit and CHANGE her own (damn - I didn't say this, but wanted to) clothes (and stop screaming at me! - didn't say this either) if she didn't like what I picked out for her! She continued to scold me as she stomped as loudly as possible up the stairs. It didn't end until she had gotten those horrible pants off her body and was in the process of picking out a dress and tights. At that point, everything was good and I was back in her good graces. Geez!

No comments: