Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Giraffes and Tie Dye

Katie's class is currently learning all about Africa this month. Each child is asked to give a presentation to the class about one of the animals who lives in Africa. Katie's animal is the giraffe and today was her turn to present to the class everything she has learned about the giraffe. Well, in our house, an assignment like this results in a lot of work for me and minimal participation on Katie's part because she can think of a million other things she'd rather be doing! That's okay though. I enjoy putting together presentation materials. I pulled together a few interesting facts about the giraffe, downloaded some pictures of giraffes for Katie to color, along with some regular photos I found on the internet and I made a book all about giraffes for Katie to share with her class. She and I read it a couple of times last night and we were done. Last time she had to present information to her class, I think we practiced too much and she lost interest in it. I didn't want to do that again. I was tempted to go over it again this morning before school, but resisted the urge.

Shortly after we arrived at Katie's school this morning, it was her turn to present. I went with her and the two of us sat in front of the class in the teacher's comfy, overstuffed chair. I held the book so everyone could see and guided Katie through the material. We played off each other to get all the information out. Katie did much better than she did last time. She wasn't as shy, she spoke loudly and clearly, and she was excited to talk about the giraffe. And at the end, she did a good job answering questions from her classmates. I am so proud of her!

Later in the morning, Katie's class got to tie dye t-shirts. I decided to hang around for that because I was curious to see how it is done. Here are some pictures of the activity:


1 comment:

Melanie Ostergard said...

Good job, Katie. I also can't wait to see her finished product on her t-shirt. I did that when I was a kid and it was lots of fun